Sunday, June 19, 2011

Police Here and There

Police in the States: I don't mess with them.
Police here: I may mess with them a bit. {In a respectful way, of course.}
Why? Because there is a lot of room for negotiation here. I adapt well to this part of Eastern culture.

The other day, I could not find a parking spot. I had to run into a shop to buy two items. So, I decided to park right in front of the police hut on a major intersection in town. Of course, the police guy came out and said I couldn't park there. I smiled and said:
"Ya know what? I just have to run into that grocery store right there and grab two things. Can you be so kind and watch my car for me while I'm in there? Come and get me if you need me to move my car. And, while I'm in there can I get something for you?"

He smiled big and away I went to get my shopping done.

And these friendly military police are always happy to pose with a cute little boy who finds them fascinating.



Car accidents are another 'flexible' area. A friend wrote about our most memorable car accident here. I recently hit another non-moving vehicle. {moving vehicles are too hard to hit!}

Poor Prius
Right after I hit the guy {just so you know, I was driving under the influence of 'I have not had my morning coffee yet', it was just too early} he jumped out and exclaimed:
Praise God, You Arrived Safely
I gave him the same response and said I was so sorry. He replied that it was no big deal because nothing really happened to his car. {it was my car that got junked up}
I asked him if he wanted me to call the police.
He looked at me like I was on drugs and said:
What will they do?

I don't know. I could have asked them to bring me some coffee...and I think they would have!

3 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience with a fender-bender here in Detroit...we decided it was pointless to call the police because we were pretty sure they wouldn't come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Amanda! My sister (who lives in Detroit) and I have MANY similar experiences :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call Matthew, He will come.

    ReplyDelete