Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Camel Races

One of Apricots Today most popular post of all time is this one about camels.

They are really strange looking animals. Kind of fascinating and gross all at the same time.

A new camel racing track was built in the desert about 45 minutes from our house. We decided it was about time to check it out because...what time is a better time to check out a camel race?

Here is a play by play of what happens at camel races:
{please remember, I have no idea what I am talking about, I just make things up based on what I observe} {thanks for keeping that in mind}

The old men sitting around placing bets.
The grandpa camel shows up to cheer on his 315 kids.

The camels are herded to the starting gate.
The boys who were naughty that week get to try to line up the crazy beasts behind the starting gate and then run for their lives when the gate goes up. We only saw one get run over. He was okay. After a few minutes.
The camel legs go in directions that legs should not go.
The remote controlled jockeys whip the camels because a few years ago child labor laws outlawed having small boys do the job. It was probably a good decision, ya think?
Everyone waits.
Other boys who were probably naughty get to 'catch' the camels as they cross the finish line. It seems kind of scary.
This boy took notes from the camel and went barefoot.
Oh, the foaming, bubbling spit. Yuck!
The old men stand by to watch their prized camels.
Others pray for good fortune.
While the teenagers are out in the parking lot with their dads trucks playing in the mud.


"Wow, these are really amazing pictures", you must be saying. You want to know why? I didn't take them. My gifted husband was down there mixed in with the scads of men taking these pictures. I was up in the stands. Sitting in a white plastic chair. Watching the VIP guests eat their chocolate covered strawberries whilst sitting in their leather couches whilst watching the race on big screen TV's. Telling my daughter, who kept telling me she was bored, that we were at a camel race for Pete's sake and that is not a normal thing any ole' American 7 year old gets to see. So enjoy it! So, that is why the pictures are so good.

10 comments:

  1. Hilarious. :) When I come visit, I want to go see a camel race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Filcek Family! So, does that mean you are coming for a visit?? Because I'm sure I can find a guy who knows a guy who knows the guy who owns the camel races. I can make it happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This isn't real!?! haha, what an experience indeed. But too cool! Thanks for sharing the photos. Stopped over from the 'Around the World in a Day Hop' and really glad I did. I hope you have a great weekend!
    http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha to be true, I was wondering how they let a woman be on the ground area with all those men, watching the race in the mud! What fascinating pictures, it was surely a great experience ;)

    Just dropped by from "Around the World in a Day"! Hope you have a nice saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Calling by from the Expat Linky Party, I am an English woman now living in Italy. It is great to meet you virtually and I think your daughter will appreciate how lucky she was to have experienced such an occasion one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dropped by from the Expat Linky Party. You might like my post. I'm in the US Midwest! Hope it doesn't make you homesick.

    Great to read of your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found those remote controlled jockeys to be fascinating. And what a photo of the slobbery camel. The truck playing in the mud - well, boys will be boys, no matter the region.

    Thank you so much for joining my Linky Party - it wouldn't have been the same without you!! XOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hubby's photos are amazing! I felt like I was there at the race! lol I liked the foaming camel, though it was a little gross!

    Paul
    http://fromsheeptoalligators.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete