Friday, February 11, 2011

What's Going on In Egypt?

Mubarak made quite a speech last night! Made the issues as clear as the mud from the Dead Sea.

This has nothing to do with Egypt. Just my cute kids playing in the Dead Sea mud.

We have received a rush of emails and phone calls regarding our safety and general well being. Thanks for being concerned! For the record {as of today} we are just fine. Our small country just keeps on ticking. No major uproar.

Yes, there have been protests. They here have been peaceful {there were photos of the police handing water bottles to the protesters} and the King has been responding. Most commentators have said that people are not asking for government reform, just calling for continued evolution in the direction the country is already heading.

By the way. I am not a political commentator. To be honest, I don't always know/understand even half of what is going on politically in this region. I just know that the city I live in has been quiet. There is food on the grocery shelves. And the American Embassy has not emailed or called with any messages of impending doom.

BUT! There are a lot of fabulous Bloggers in this region that do know what is going on. I enjoy reading their opinions because they are not the media and don't try to sensationalize the story. I have been quite disheartened to watch CNN and BBC.  They often report 'Live Feed' when I know it is not. It was long after sunset where I live and broad daylight in Cairo on the Live Feed. Not possible. One day, the Live Feed from our very rainy capital city showed protesters on a bright sunny day. Not true. Frustrating.

So, I turn to these great Bloggers of the region to get a  'street level' view of what is really going on right now in the Middle East. Enjoy!

Black Iris
Very popular {in English} Jordanian blogger.

MommaBean
American married to Jordanian.

Kinzi
An American who has lived here for ages. I love the passion with which she addresses social justice issues in this region. And she did recently have a bit to say about recent political events. Short and sweet.

Hope this helps clear up the mud a bit.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Mrs. MishMish, thanks for the mention!! :)

    (I am giggling into my coffee over the 'Barfing in Ramallah' post title)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Mrs. Kinzi!
    (I was not giggling in Ramallah when it happened!)

    ReplyDelete