Saturday, March 12, 2011

Nuns...Bikinis...Camels...and My Husband

It can only be described as a once in a lifetime moment.

I stand in those moments and usually laugh and ask:
How is the world did I get here?

Let me start from the beginning.
We live in a 99% Muslim country.
Muslims are very conservative people.
I respect that.
I try to dress in a way that shows I respect their standards of modesty.
For instance: I NEVER wear a swim suit on the public beach. It would just be a mess!

Well, we {hubby and I} were invited to an event in town that I NEVER would have come up with in my wildest dreams living in the conservative town that I live in....

A Brazilian bikini fashion show to promote conserving the beautiful environment {ie: sea life and coral reef} of our community.

I was invited to display the recycled crafts from the ladies I work with. My husband was invited to give a speech on recycling as a representative of the only recycling company in the country that he consults for.

Hubby giving his speech. Why does he look like Jesus, you ask? My nice camera had a horrible accident and I had to use my iphone camera. Iphones don't work well at night with stage lights.
It got really exciting after the speech.

{that was not meant to be a reflection of your speech, honey}.

{He could just not complete with what happened next}

Belly dancing. See what I mean?
Then...

The bikini models arriving on camels.

 Don't worry, it gets better...


Yup. A Brazilian bikini fashion show.




You want to know the best part of the evening for me?

I was not sitting in the crowd since I was standing by all my wares on display. Therefore, I had a great view of the crowd. All night long, all I could do was stare and giggle at my husband. He was sitting in the front row. Watching the bikini models bounce down the runway. Sitting in the middle of three nuns.

The nuns run a Rosary School in town and were there to support their students who presented the work of their ecology club. Yup. Nuns. Watching belly dancers. Camels. Models. Bikinis.

Next to my husband.

I was inspired to save the coral.

2 comments:

  1. I think we need to pay you a visit! Just the other day someone asked me about living here in the Middle East. All I could think of to say is that it is full of contradictions. ~ Um Tulip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um Tulip...I love your explanation. It is so true! Come on down anytime. There is excitement every day!

    ReplyDelete