Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Shopping Our Way

Now that I shared all our tricks for celebrating Thanksgiving...it is time I shared with you how we go Christmas shopping:

I love a good bargain. In the States, I was the queen of eBay and Craigslist. I loved a good garage sale and LOVED my local Goodwill.  I can't remember the last time I paid full price for something. Moving overseas kind of cut that addiction out of my life. No eBay, Craigslist or garage sales here.

But, about a year ago, I found someone who can give me a good fix every once in a while when it comes to kids' toys! The shop owner is actually a very sweet man. In fact, he is on my top 5 list of most favorite shop owners in the country {this list is NOT easy to get on, it requires not EVER making me feel a creepy vibe or feel that I am being ripped off}. He is also a sheikh, actually THE sheikh for the mosque downtown. That means he has to close down the store five times a day to run and do the call to prayer. I don't mean just go and pray. I mean he is the little man whose voice rings out from the minaret. {Recently he locked my husband and I in his shop so we could continue shopping while he did the prayer...I told you, he is just a nice guy!} He also has an African Grey parrot that lives outside his shop that says: Marhaba (hello), Salam wa alaykom (peace on you), and will cat call at anyone walking by. The bird also does the perfect imitation of a cat meowing. Poor thing. You know who he gets to hang out with all day in that alley. He was actually a bit camera shy when I shot this video. He would NOT talk for the camera. Silly parrot.


Anyway. Abu Sheikh {as I like to call him 'father of sheikhs'} also has an amazing memory. He remembers all the toys that our family has ever purchased {not to mention the fact that he has the entire Koran memorized}. If he sees me coming he starts pulling out his new wares customized for us...kind of like how Amazon.com has {probably very complicated programming} suggestions of items you may want to buy based on your buying history.

From what I can figure {and all the bizarre questions I've asked him}, he gets big containers full of items that have been returned at places like Target, Toys R Us and Walmart. He gets overstocks from Goodwill and Salvation Army. And one time he got a load of left over garage sale items. I really have no idea how he gets this stuff. But I love him for it. He has three locations: His store. The storage room next to his store. And his storage garage behind his mosque {I call this place his Holy of Holies}. You would NOT believe the stuff he has in there. Recently he got about 40 huge burlap bags full of overstocked Old Navy and Gap clothes. {yippie!!!!}


WARNING: This will just make you jealous if you are a fellow bargain shopper...proceed with caution!

Here is what I have found over the last years and the prices Abu Sheikh sells them for:
American Girl Josefina Doll: Retail $95 - Abu Sheikh price $7
Playmobil Large Pirate Ship: Retail $110 - Abu Sheikh price $17
Playmobil Fairy Palace: Retail $60 - Abu Sheikh price $14
Lego Star Wars Various sets: Retail $20 - $60 - Abu Sheikh price $10
Lego City Airport: Retail $99 - Abu Sheikh price $15
Mexican Train Dominoes: Retail $20 - Abu Sheikh price $3
Tony Hawk Wii Skateboard and Game: Retail $50 - Abu Sheikh price $12
5 Wii Games: Retail $30 - $60 each - Abu Sheikh price $7 each
Pink ihome alarm clock: Retail $50 - Abu Sheikh price $10
Hannah Montana Monopoly: Retail $20 - Abu Sheikh price $4
Eye Clops Bionic Eye  Microscope for TV: Retail $70 - Abu Sheikh price $8
Huge set of Lincoln Logs: Retail $40 - Abu Sheikh price $2
My Little Ponies: Retail $6 - Abu Sheikh price 75 cents each

Back in college, my boyfriend {who later became my husband!} did a summer internship in a small Guatemalan village outside of Antigua that was famous for their unique, colorful handwoven crafts, with patterns only made in that area! Look what we found at Abu Sheikh's a few weeks ago:


From Guatemala in some tourist's bag... to Abu Sheikh's in Podunk, Middle East. If that thing could talk... We found it just hilarious that it was lying next to a Bible cover {not too much of a market for those around here}.

Well, before you get too jealous of my great fortune. I will leave you with this picture. This is his store on an organized day:


Abu Sheikh on the hunt for the perfect toy.
See anything you want?
Happy Christmas Shopping!

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love! It doesn't surprise me that you found a way to bargain shop in the Middle East. Where there's a will, there's a way. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post..." a picture is worth a thousand words!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures bring wonderful memories of shopping "in the Middle". Doubtless Abu Sheikh knows the precise location of every piece of merchandise!

    ReplyDelete