Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Survivin' Overseas

Our count down has begun for our trip back home for some summer fun to catch up with family and friends. I am looking forward to getting out of the heat for a bit...last week it was 118 degrees...and in Michigan it was 86 degrees. That is a 32 degree difference! I told the kids that they are NOT ALLOWED to say they are cold at any time this summer. We will embrace the 'cool' temperatures! As I have been looking forward to connecting {face to face!} with friends and family again, I recently was reflecting on the things we have in 2010 that have made living overseas a bit easier compared to our first move to the Middle East in 2004. Allow me to share...

1. Facebook: It goes without saying. I originally signed up for Facebook a few years back for the sole purpose of finding a long lost friend of mine from junior high. After 'stalking' for her on many {lame} high school reunion sites, Facebook came along. I found her! We had a reunion {it had been 17 years since we had last seen each other} and I got addicted to Facebook from there. Great way to keep in touch an ocean away!

2. Beach Club: Okay. I am being honest. There is an amazing beach-front development that offered memberships at an amazingly low price last year. We signed up and have not regretted it. It is our weekend escape. This is me...during one of my therapy sessions. I could not 'do' this life without it!

3. Kindle: Well, I don't actually have one of these yet! But, it is on my technology wish list. In 2004 each of our suitcases could weigh 75 lbs in 2010, 50 lbs. I love books, but I hate trying to figure out how to ship.fly.send.buy.keep up with the latest reads. 4,000 miles away from the nearest Amazon.com warehouse. Kindle? Brilliant! I want one.

4. Hybrid: We have had an interesting car history here. First, we owned a 18 year old BMW that was always on the fritz and rarely had AC. Then we got smart. We shipped our big American SUV {translated: GAS HOG} over, had it tax free for nine months and sold it right before the $20,000 tax was due (don't worry, the buyer knew about the taxes due!). Then we got even smarter. We bought a Toyata Hybrid. You would think living in the Middle East, gas would be really cheap. Nope. We pay more for gas here than we did in the States. {Unless you go to the boot-legged-Saudi-gas-station-in-an-unmarked-building-behind-a-big gate-in-which-you-have-to-know-the-secret-honk-to-get-it. Not.} So, getting rid of our gas guzzling big ole American SUV and switching to Hybrid has been a good stress relieving move. And the AC always works. Just charming!

5. Arabic: Wow, am I glad I took the time to learn Arabic. When I first arrived in the Middle East, the thought often running through my head was..."why is everyone yelling at each other" now the thought running through my head is "am I yelling loud enough to convey my passion for this subject?" Arabs are passionate people and I love talking loud...so we are a good match.

1 comment:

  1. I soooooo hope I get to see you when you come back to the states! I always love when your family stops into our little OBC church! :)

    ReplyDelete