Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Differences...

You know I love celebrating culture. One aspect of culture I love to observe is the differences in how people live from one part of the world to another. Now that I am nearly over jet lag {I am now able to at least talk in complete sentences} I made a little list-y of what I have observed these past few days.

1. There is a lot of water in the toilets. My kids were very loud in announcing this fact in the airport bathroom when we arrived in Chicago. So, now a lot of people know that there is a lot of water in the toilets in America!

2. My son noticed this one...and I quote: "Why does that little man just sit in the gas station store? Why won't he come out and put gas in our car for us? What is wrong with him?" My son was feeling very offended for my poor husband who actually had to get out of the car and pump his own gas.

3. The grocery stores are the size of a small village. Literally. My family could live in a grocery store and we would have more amenities there then we would in the small villages I am referring to. We could sleep in the bedding section. Enjoy Starbucks for breakfast. Visit our pets in the aquarium section. Enjoy entertainment in the electronics section. Send the kids to school in the book section. Visit the doctor in the pharmacy. And get some fresh air in the garden section. Oh, and there is so much food too.

4.Speaking of food. When you buy a dozen eggs here...you get a dozen eggs. No poop. No feathers. No rotten eggs. No cracked eggs laced with salmonella. Just eggs. Kind of shocking.

5. I don't have to say a little prayer every time I plug something in.

6. The water that comes out of the faucet. It's clean! AND...the cold water is cold and the hot water is hot.

7. People obey the traffic laws. And they even use turn signals!

We are enjoying the differences! Especially the fact that last night the weather was 50 degrees cooler than the average temperature we were used to. I need a snow suit. Gotta run out to the small village {I mean grocery store} to grab one.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it to the USA safely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful you made it to the US!!! It'll be fun to hear all the differences. :)

    ReplyDelete