Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Culture Through the Eyes of A Child

My 4 year old niece visited {she brought her family along with her as well} last spring. I recently found a scratch piece of paper in which I had recorded some very funny things that she said during their visit. She was experiencing a different culture and it just delighted my heart to hear her process it all out loud.

My little twin.
While we were walking around downtown, she noticed the different clothes and said:
"Dad, I just love those curtain hats those boys wear."

We left our restaurant one night and it had gotten dark. All the city buildings were lit up, including the mosque close to the restaurant. With such delight, she looked up at the mosque minaret and declared:
"Auntie, we just ate right next to Cinderella's Castle!"


I guess the image in her mind of the desert was pretty close to the real thing. As we were driving down the main highway through the country, she yelled out:
"Wow, this looks just like the desert!"


And her common answer when any new food item was placed before her:
"Is it tortellini?"
I think that was the most exotic food item name she could come up with.



Each time she sampled a new food item, she always had something positive to say. Pretty remarkable for a little girl! My favorite:
"Everything is so delicious. Especially when they put honey all over everything!"

A lesson we all can learn from a little girl:

Different things, different people, different food can be delicious!

The next time you see a covered lady at the grocery store or a man with a curtain hat on television, think of the 'honey' that differences bring to our world.

2 comments:

  1. LOVED this post! It gave me laughter and reminded me of the BEST perspective we can have in life...childlike :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Growing up has it's down sides!!

    ReplyDelete